This Pineapple Sesame Slaw (aka "Treasure Island" Slaw) is a taste of the islands in your own home anytime! And it's easy to throw together!
Something about coleslaw says "summer," right? This Pineapple Sesame Slaw is a refreshing, tropical take on classic slaw.
The addition of pineapple gives it a lovely sweet and slightly "juicy" element and the sesame seeds and nuts add a bit of crunch.
The dressing is a light vinaigrette, perfect for warm weather!
Make sandwiches using Debbie's Hawaiian Rolls and you'll be enjoying island life for sure!
How to Make a Slaw
Coleslaw may be one of the easiest salads to make. All the ingredients are basically shredded, then mixed with the dressing and you're done!
For this salad, it's easy to chop up some cabbage and carrots, or you can buy a bag of the veggies already prepped and save some time.
Once the cabbage and carrots are shredded, drain the pineapple, slice the green onions, chop the nuts and toast the sesame seeds. Mix this all together.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
When making any kind of dressing I like to shake it to emulsify the oil rather than spend time whisking. I like to use a dressing bottle, the perfect tool for preparing the dressing and serving. You can also use a regular lidded jar for this step.
Once the salad ingredients are mixed together and the dressing is made, add about half of the dressing to the salad. Toss, and see if you want more dressing. You probably will, so go ahead and add a bit more.
You may end up using all the dressing, but it's better to err on the side of too little than too much. It's hard to remove the dressing once it's on the salad!
Be sure to put this Pineapple Sesame Slaw together several hours ahead of time to allow the flavors to marry. This also will allow you time with your family and friends instead of last minute salad prep!
This is a perfect side dish to Jurga's Grilled Pork Tenderloins, too!
Other Gr8 Salad Recipes
If you want other salad ideas, try one of these cre-8-tions!
- Lemony Kale Cabbage and Carrot Slaw
- Summer-y Strawberry and Greens Salad
- Avocado Papaya Salad
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Warm Potato Salad with Spinach and Bacon Vinaigrette
Pineapple Sesame Slaw aka "Treasure Island" Slaw
- 1 pound cabbage, shredded, about 6 cups
- 1 medium carrot, shredded, about 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup diced fresh pineapple, or canned, drained
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts, or almonds
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a jar, cover with a lid and shake vigorously until combined. Alternatively, whisk ingredients together in a small bowl or use your blender.
- Taste, and adjust salt. (Add pepper if you prefer it.)
- In a large bowl combine the cabbage, carrots, pineapple, and scallions. Toss to mix.
- Add half the dressing and toss. Continue adding the dressing until the salad is coated to your liking.
- Throw in the macadamia nuts and sesame seeds, then toss the salad until ingredients are well distributed.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours for optimum flavor.