The first time I served this Simple and Fresh Papaya and Avocado Salad was for my Cinco de Mayo Great 8 dinner in 1999 and I have continued to serve it quite often since. There are only a few ingredients and it is so fresh and vibrant in color; a fun salad to serve in the summer time or anytime!
When serving eight people it is also good to have recipes that are somewhat easy and can be prepared ahead of time. This salad dressing can be made up to 2 weeks before serving. Most folks throw away the papaya seeds but I was surprised to find out that along with the papaya, the seeds have many health benefits and are perfect for a dressing as their flavor is a cross between mustard and a black peppercorn. I usually pass this dressing and let everyone add the amount they prefer.
You can also serve it already drizzled on the salad and pass for those that might want more.
Besides this Papaya and Avocado Salad, here are more Delicious Salads:
- Do you love arugula? Well try it on with a Lemon Parm Dressing!
- Have you ever tried Bacon Vinaigrette?
- Use your fresh pears in this delicious salad.
- This Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad is a one bowl meal!
- Give this Sicilian Salad a try, you will love it!
Papaya and Avocado Salad
- 1 head butter or red leaf lettuce
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 large papaya, sliced; reserve the seeds
- Papaya Seed Dressing
Papaya Seed Dressing:
- 2 Tablespoons papaya seeds, reserved from the papaya
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar, start out with 1/4 cup and then add more if you prefer it sweeter
- 1/3 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 cup salad oil
Papaya Salad Dressing:
- In a blender, grind the papaya seeds to a coarse ground pepper consistency.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the oil.
- Slowly add the oil and blend on high until the mixture is combined.
- Chill for several hours to blend the flavors.
- Wash the leaves and pat dry. Lay a couple leaves on each plate.
- Arrange the avocado and papaya on top of the lettuce.
- Spoon 1 Tablespoon of the dressing over each salad or serve the salad dressing on the side for each guest to serve themselves.
- Serve and enjoy!