The best recipes come from our mom's and grandmas and this Lithuanian Apple Cake is one of those recipes. Try this moist tender cake, perfect for any occasion! And so easy!
I miss my mom. She recently passed away so I thought I would try and make a favorite recipe of hers to remind me of the wonderful moments that we shared in the kitchen.
When it comes to cooking or baking with apples, I immediately think of her. Mom made the best Apple Cake (o-buo-li-nis pea-rah-gus) ever!
Although there are many different twists and variations of this cake, I kept to using all the simple ingredients that she used.
I researched and experimented and several times fell short of the real deal. After 4 attempts (yes, I fess up, I baked 4 different cakes) I came pretty close with this one.
I used a variety of apples (Braeburn, Granny Smith and Honeycrisp) because I like the blend of sweet and tart.
In her memory, I am naming this Močiute's Lithuanian Apple Cake. Enjoy with your morning coffee or for dessert, warmed and topped with a scoop of ice cream.
So here goes mom, this one’s for you! How did I do?
Lithuanian Apple Cake
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt or sour cream, not low fat
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3-4 large apples, peeled and sliced into very thin slices
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- On medium speed, using electric mixer, blend eggs and sugar until fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- Add softened butter, yogurt and vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in apple slices.
- Pour batter into buttered 8 x 8 glass baking dish. You can also use a 9" round cake pan.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until brown and toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool, top with powdered sugar and cut into squares.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.