My Strawberry Summer Salad is a refreshing mixed green salad with bright fruit, flavorful cheese, sweet nuts and slight heat from red onion; tossed with a delicious and easy dressing!
Summer is the perfect season for fresh strawberries, abundant in local markets and local farms. My favorite summer side dish or first course is this Strawberry Summer Salad. It is very easy to make as well as refreshing and delicious during the hot summer months.
You simply toss fresh fruit on top of any mixed greens for an inviting pop of color. For extra flavor, add the cheese, nuts and onion as well as the delicious and easy to prepare salad dressing.
Ingredients you can substitute:
- Use any greens - iceberg lettuce, kale, spring mix, arugula or any combination of greens.
- Instead of strawberries try raspberries, blueberries or another fruit like orange slices.
- Raw or toasted nuts could replace the candied nuts.
- If you prefer a milder cheese, feta would be a delicious alternative!
- If you don't have raspberry vinegar, try another light fruit vinegar or a light vinegar like champagne, sherry or white wine vinegar.
Looking for other Gr8 recipes with Strawberries?
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Rhubarb Tart
- Red, White, and Blue Cheesecake Mousse
- Strawberry Rosé Popsicles
- Make an American Flag with Strawberries!
Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C and are very rich in antioxidants. So for a fun and healthy way to eat your greens this summer, top them off with some delicious, fresh strawberries!
Strawberry Summer Salad
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 5 cups romaine, cut in bite-size pieces
- 5 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup candied pecans, whole or coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup raspberry vinegar, or other light fruit vinegar or a champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, or salad oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Shake all ingredients together in a dressing cruet or lidded jar.
- Toss all ingredients together in a salad bowl.
- Add the amount of dressing that you like and toss again.