Joel could eat salad everyday! Although he would be okay with the same salad every night, I on the other hand, have to have some variety. I guess foodies just like to experience different flavors and ingredients. Anna assigned me "Mixed Field Greens with Arugula Oil and Lemon Vinaigrette" as the salad for her "Nantucket" themed Gr8 Dinner. I was excited to get this recipe and have another salad dressing in my repertoire.
This dressing is very flavorful and simple to make. There are two oils that need to be started a couple days ahead in order to infuse the flavors and it takes only a few minutes to make both the lemon rind infused olive oil and the arugula infused olive oil. Check out the color of this arugula oil!
Drizzled on top of the salad adds a perfect peppery addition.
There really is no reason to buy salad dressing in a jar from the market. Combining all of your favorite ingredients is the way to go! Fresh, easy and all the flavors you love! Try this salad with any meat, fish or chicken dish!
Adapted from Company of the Cauldron on Nantucket.
Mixed Field Greens with Arugula Oil and Lemon Vinaigrette
Lemon Oil Ingredients
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of one lemon
Arugula Oil Ingredients
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ounces arugula
Lemon Oil Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 anchovy, finely chopped or 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon oil
- 8 cups mixed field greens
Lemon Oil Instructions
- Put the 1/2 cup of olive oil and lemon zest in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cover the pan. Let this sit until it is cooled to room temperature.
- Transfer the oil and the zest to a covered container, a jar or bottle, and keep at room temperature for 2 days. The oil can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Arugula Oil Instructions
- Puree the olive oil and arugula in a blender or food processor. Let it sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Transfer to a jar or bottle. This will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Lemon Oil Vinaigrette Instructions
- Put into a jar the shallot, vinegar, mustard, rosemary, lemon zest, garlic, anchovy and salt.
- Add 1/4 cup of the lemon oil and shake vigorously to combine. Taste and add a Tablespoon or 2 of lemon oil if necessary.
To Make the Salad
- Put the field greens into a large bowl and toss with 3 Tablespoons of the Lemon Oil Vinaigrette. Add more dressing as desired.
- Once the salad is served on each plate, drizzle with the Arugula Oil, then serve.
Gr8 Do-Ahead Tips:
- The Arugula Oil can be made up to a week ahead of time and kept refrigerated.
- The Lemon Oil can be kept for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.