This Warm Spinach Potato Salad with a Bacon Vinaigrette is a perfect side dish recipe of fresh ingredients and flavors!
One "date night" my dear friend Donna and I decided to surprise our husbands with a cooking class at Sur La Table.
The guys were not too thrilled about taking a class. Then they saw the menu and when we told them they got to eat the meal, they were all in!
One of the dishes we prepared that night was this Warm Spinach Potato Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette. Recently I served it as a side dish with my Butterflied and Marinated Leg of Lamb and it was a delicious combination of flavors!
And, let's be honest! Bacon is the bomb! This vinaigrette just really kicks it up a notch!
I also love whole grain mustard which adds that tinge of flavor and is the perfect addition with spinach and potatoes.
Do you like to make things ahead of time making entertaining easier? This recipe can be made a few hours ahead of time and tossed with the spinach right before serving! Add this salad or serve it as a side dish, it's always a hit!
More delicious salad recipes:
- Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Bacon Twists in Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola Croutons
- Marinated Nectarine Salad with Burrata
- Pear Hazelnut Green Salad
- Minted Cucumber Tomato Salad
This post contains affiliate links which means Great Eight Friends may earn a small commission if you click on the link. There is no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Warm Spinach Potato Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette
- 1 ½ pounds fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and trimmed
- 6 slices good quality bacon, thinly sliced crosswise into ¼ inch strips
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more as needed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby spinach, large stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons chopped herbs, flat-leaf parsley, chives, and/or dill
- Steam the potatoes for about 10 minutes (until tender when pricked with a fork).
- While the potatoes are steaming, cook the bacon in a large skillet until crispy (about 8 - 10 minutes).
- When the potatoes are tender transfer to a medium bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel to drain. Use a slotted spoon and leave the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the shallot and garlic to the pan and cook in the bacon grease until softened (about 1 minute).
- Whisk in vinegar, mustard, sugar and salt. Cook until mixture is thickened and reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Cut each fingerling potato crosswise at a forty-five degree angle into ½ inch thick slices.
- Add the potatoes to the skillet and toss to coat with dressing.
- Add the spinach, herbs, and cooked bacon and gently toss to coat with dressing.
- Taste and adjust seasonings once more with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
- Use any potato you have! Cut into small or bite size.
- Don't have shallots? No worries, use any onion you have!
- Whole grain mustard is so delicious but if you don't have it, try dijon mustard or another flavor you might have in your pantry.