This French Apple Cranberry Pie is a festive, colorful twist on a traditional apple pie. My family loves the sumptuous, buttery crumb topping.
The holiday season is here, and it's time for some traditional baking of cookies, breads and pies. Here in our home we love this Apple Cranberry Pie. It's a festive, colorful twist on the traditional apple pie, perfect for a Thanksgiving, Christmas or Hanukkah table.
This recipe is easy to make using just a single pie crust, some apples, cranberries with seasonings and a scrumptious buttery crumb topping. There's no need to struggle with a double pie crust; the crumbly topping adds pizazz to this delectable pie.
It's important to choose the best apples for baking - apples that keep their shape when cooked - such as Granny Smith, Braeburn or Honeycrisp. I use a combination of sweet (Honeycrisp) and tart (Granny Smith) apples as more variety imparts a richer flavor.
If you like this French Apple Cranberry Pie, you'll also enjoy:
Tangy and Tasty French Apple Cranberry Pie
Ingredients for pie filling:
- 7 cups peeled and thinly sliced tart apples, about 7 medium apples
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups frozen or fresh whole cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Pastry for 9-inch single crust pie, (see Gr8 Tip below for recipe.)
Ingredients for crumb topping:
- 1 stick (½ cup) cold butter
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place sliced apples and lemon juice in a large bowl and toss.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and 3 Tablespoons flour.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the apples and toss gently.
- Add the cranberries and toss again.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry and flute the edges.
- Pour the apple-cranberry mixture into an unbaked pie crust.
- Dot with 2 Tablespoons butter and get ready to make the topping.
- Whisk flour and sugar together in a medium bowl.
- Slice the cold butter into 8 pieces.
- Add the butter to the flour and sugar and using a pastry cutter or fork, blend until the mixture resembles little peas.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apple and cranberry mixture until covered.
- Line the bottom of the oven to catch any spillover from the juices.
- Cover the edge of the pie crust with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil from edges but cover the top of the pie with foil to prevent the crumb mixture from burning.
- Bake the pie for 15 more minutes until the crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling in the center.
- Cool the pie on a rack and serve at room temperature.
- Pie Crust recipe here!
- Add some chopped nuts to the pie filling or topping for extra texture and flavor.
- Give your pie a little "kick" by adding a small amount of ground cloves.