I mean really! Bring together chocolate, pecans and bourbon and everyone will be your friend! This dessert is absolutely delightful and super easy to make. And, once I tasted it, I crossed Pecan Pie off on my list of foods that I don't like. Because of this Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie recipe, I'm a fan now!
Maybe it's the addition of the chocolate and/or the bourbon (happy face!). You really don't need it, but adding some vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream makes this dessert complete perfection.
Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie
Recipe from Caroline Cazaumayou a great cook and local caterer!
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted cold butter
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening,, regular or butter flavor
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 egg yolk,, (save the egg white)
Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 egg white
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter,, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons Bourbon
- ¾ cup semi-sweet mini-chocolate chips
- 2 cups pecan halves
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the flour, butter, shortening, and salt.
- Pulse until the butter breaks into pea-size pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water and egg yolk.
- With the machine running, add this mixture to the bowl of the food processor.
- Once the dough becomes one big ball, transfer the mixture to a floured work surface and press together into a disc.
- Add flour as needed and roll the dough to fit a 9 or 10-inch pie plate.
- After placing the dough into the pie plate, trim the edges with a knife, and then crimp the edges with your fingers.
- After placing the dough into the pie plate, freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, slightly beat the egg white.
- Brush enough of the egg white to cover the bottom of the crust and poke the crust several times with a fork.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, syrup, sugar, melted butter, vanilla, and Bourbon.
- Spread the chocolate chips in the bottom of the prepared crust and top with the pecans.
- Slowly pour the filling over the nuts.
- Bake the pie in the middle of the oven for 50 – 55 minutes or until nicely browned and set.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
Gr8 Do-Ahead Tip:This pie can be made a day ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Gr8 Tip:Find another Gr8 pie crust recipe here, or if you are short on time, buy a packaged pie crust from your local market and follow the steps above.