This homemade apple pie recipe combines tart apples with some sweetness and a flakey buttery crust!
What could be more American than good ol’ apple pie?! I make this dessert for just about any occasion.
This is one of our family’s favorite desserts. Some of us like it alone, some of us like it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and some of us like it topped with whipped cream or caramel sauce.
No matter what your sweet tooth desires, I’m sure you would prefer it homemade.
Trust me, it is easy to prepare! Start with Anna's easy no-fail pie crust.
If you have never made pie crust before, trust me, it is not difficult and trying our crust here on Great 8 Friends will be easy and a sure winner.
Or if you are in a time crunch, pick up a pre-made pie crust in the refrigerated section of your local market.
This recipe was from my Aunt Eileen who would just mix up ingredients and out of the oven would be the most beautiful looking and wonderful smelling pie.
When I asked her for the recipe, well, she did her best to write down what she does. Once you make this you'll also agree that hers is the best!
Grandpa Dwight loved apple pie and decided one day to show Jack just how easy it is!
Please leave a rating!
All American Apple Pie
- **Pastry for double-crust pie, see notes below for recipe
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 6 cups thinly peeled and sliced tart apples, about 6 medium
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Heat oven to 425º F.
- Put a large baking sheet on the middle oven rack.
- Prepare pie crust.
- Add the lemon juice to the apples as you are slicing them.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- Gently add the dry mixture to the sliced apples and lemon juice.
- Roll out one disk of pastry dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 13″ round.
- Fit into a 9″ pie plate.
- Trim edge, leaving ½″ over-hang.
- Pour apple mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Dot with the 2 Tablespoons of butter.
- Roll out the second disk of pastry dough to about an 11″ round.
- Cover with the top crust.
- Seal the top crust to the bottom crust by pinching the two together.
- Lightly brush top of the pie with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- With a sharp knife, make steam vents in the crust.
- Cover the edge of the crust with aluminum foil and remove this 15 minutes before baking is finished.
- Bake the pie on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375º F and bake until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling through the vents. About 40 minutes.
- Cool the pie on a cooling rack until warm or room temperature.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream or caramel sauce and Enjoy!
Be a Gr8 Friend and tell us what you think!