Minted Cucumber Tomato Salad is refreshing and light; a perfect counterpoint to spicy foods or Gr8 with simple grilled meats.
Sometimes you just need a simple, fresh salad to offset the spiciness of your main course. This Minted Cucumber Tomato Salad is the answer.
This came together when I was planning on serving Kyle's Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala.
I wanted to serve something light and remembered my mom used to make a marinated cucumber and onion salad; so I started with that.
Many Indian dishes incorporate mint, which lightens and brightens the onion.
Once I got the "first run" of the salad done I served it to some friends of ours with the Chicken Tikka Masala. It was the perfect side dish.
And my Lebanese friend said it tasted just like his mother used to make! He knows how to get invited back!
A lot of us are more used to eating mint in gum or candy. Please try this!
I think you will be pleasantly surprised. It is super simple to make, you basically chop up some fresh vegetables, toss them with the oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper, and serve!
Make it ahead of time and let it sit at room temperature so the flavors and juices can meld. (Can you hear me slurping?)
The ability to serve this at room temperature also makes this a Gr8 summer salad and perfect for a picnic.
Serve this scrumptious salad with:
- Jammin' Jamaican Meat Pies
- Marinated Leg of Lamb
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Lemon Yogurt Chicken Skewers
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Minted Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 6 Persian cucumbers, sliced ½-inch thick,, or 2 large English cucumbers
- ½ cup thinly sliced sweet onion,, about ¼ of a large onion
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ cup thinly sliced mint leaves
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Toss the cucumbers, onion, and tomatoes together in a bowl. Add the mint and gently toss.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Or, shake it up in a lidded jar (my preference).
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to completely coat the vegetables. Taste and add salt and pepper to your taste.
- If you have the time (and the will power) let this salad sit at room temperature for at least an hour. The flavors will meld, the juices will release and you will be in heaven.
Gr8 Do Ahead Tip:This is Gr8 made 2 to 4 hours ahead of time. Cover and put it in the refrigerator so the vegetables have time to marinate in the dressing. Take it out about 30 minutes ahead of time and serve at room temperature for the most flavor. My friend who grew up eating this salad says it's even better the next day!