This salad is a nice presentation and blend of colors and is a great choice for a ladies' luncheon. Or add a grilled chicken breast for a lovely light supper.
Recipe adapted from Cooks.com
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, cut or torn into
- 1 bag spinach, or any mixed greens of your choice
- 3 fresh Mandarin oranges or tangerines, peeled and divided into small segments
- 1 cup black or red grapes, halved
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded, peeled and cubed
- 6 ounces Sugar and Spice Pecans, or toasted slivered almonds
- ½ cup salad oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons minced chives, dried or fresh
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ - 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Toss together lettuce, spinach, oranges and grapes in a salad bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well.
- Add dressing to the lettuce mixture until you have the greens coated to your liking.
- Garnish with avocado and nuts.
- Pair this salad with grilled chicken or grilled shrimp for a beautiful presentation and complete meal.
- Canned mandarin oranges, chilled and drained, can be used instead of fresh oranges.