This "Never Fails Chocolate Cake" is an easy chocolate dessert that can be prepared all in one bowl!
Everyone loves an easy "one bowl" recipe. Well, this one you are sure to love. Gale's Never Fails Chocolate Cake is definitely one of my "go to" recipes.
It is so easy to mix all the ingredients in one bowl and then pour it into a baking pan and in about 45 minutes you can serve dessert!
Jack bought me a new bundt pan for Christmas and the first thing I wanted to bake in it was my mom's no fail chocolate cake! And my mom gave me a beautiful cake stand. I was happy to use both and easily whip up my mom's super chocolatey and moist cake recipe.
I love it with or without frosting or with a bit of confectioner's sugar sprinkled on top!
Or for those of us who love love love chocolate, let's DOUSE it with chocolate frosting! The frosting recipe makes enough to frost the whole cake or just drizzle (and then pour any leftover frosting in a pan and once it is hardened, cut and serve as candy!).
And what is chocolate cake without vanilla ice cream?!
Either way, this light and chocolatey dessert is a hit every time!
Never Fails Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ pound butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Grease a bundt pan or a 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Stir in oil, buttermilk and eggs.
- Add the water and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes
- Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 15 minutes on a rack then remove from pan.
- Frost when cake is fully cooled.
- Combine milk, butter, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan.
- Bring ingredients to a boil. Boil for only a short time.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- Dry buttermilk mix can be used. Follow the directions on the package before adding it to the cake.
- Any leftover frosting makes yummy candy for the chocolate lover.