Oven Fried Chicken is as delicious and crispy as pan-fried, and it's a whole lot easier and healthier, too! While the chicken bakes, you can be preparing the rest of the meal. Perfect for a delicious dinner or picnic!
My mother doesn't like to cook but she always managed to put a good, healthy dinner on the table for our family of six. One of her Sunday specialties was Oven Fried Chicken. Even before all the research about low-fat and frying, she loved cooking the chicken in the oven because it was much cleaner and quicker (and cooler) than frying on top of the stove.
I have adapted this recipe from hers. The change I made is adding the egg wash and bread crumbs because I wanted a crispier chicken. Everything else is all my mom's. If you want to leave out the egg wash and bread crumbs, the chicken will still be delicious, a little less crispy and a bit healthier!
This is a Gr8 recipe to make for a big family dinner because while the chicken is cooking for an hour, you can make all the other dishes and put a beautiful family dinner on the table.
Or make this ahead and pack a picnic! This is classic picnic food. And don't forget the Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Do you love chicken recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Roasted Chicken
- Baked Chicken Scallopini
- Lemon Yogurt Chicken Skewers
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Chicken in Wine Sauce
Mom's Oven Fried Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3-1/2 pounds Chicken pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika,, see note
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 pie plates or shallow bowls
- 11" x 7" glass casserole dish., You can use metal but you may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- In a pie plate mix together the flour, salt, paprika, and black pepper
- In a second pie plate, lightly beat the 2 eggs and whisk in the milk to make the egg wash
- Put the bread crumbs into a third pie plate
- Put the butter and olive oil into the glass pan and put into the oven to melt the butter, about 5 minutes, be careful not to burn it!
- Rinse and dry the chicken pieces.
- Once the butter is melted, carefully remove the pan from the oven.
- Dredge a piece of chicken in the flour mixture to completely cover.
- Roll the chicken in the egg wash
- Finally, dredge in the bread crumbs to fully coat the piece of chicken
- Lay the chicken, skin side down, in the glass pan.
- Repeat until all the chicken is coated and in the pan.
- Place the pan back into the oven and cook for 45 minutes
- Remove the pan from the oven, turn each piece of chicken over.
- Return pan to the oven and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- When chicken is done remove from oven.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and you will have yummy drippings to make some gravy!
Gr8 Do Ahead Tip:If this is to be eaten at a picnic, you can make it up to a day ahead. In that case, when you remove the chicken from the pan, lay it on a wire rack to cool. Once completely cool, lay in a single layer on a tray or pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve or take to the picnic!
- Spice It Up! If you want to make your chicken spicier, substitute cayenne pepper for the paprika.
- If you don't want the chicken as crispy, leave off the egg wash and bread crumbs. Just dredge in the flour mixture and cook as instructed.