This Jamaican Rice and Beans recipe was the perfect accompaniment for the Jerk Chicken served at Debbie and Phil's Jamaican Gr8 Dinner! This mildly seasoned side dish is a gr8 addition to any meal and super easy to prepare!
The addition of coconut milk gives the dish a bit of a creamy texture and with the canned beans, this pan of rice becomes a lot more interesting and certainly more flavorful! Why not serve our Tikka Masala on top?! YUM!
Jamaican Rice and Beans
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 3/4 cup chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 3/4 cup coconut milk, regular or light (13.5 ounce can)
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sauté pan (that has a fitting lid) heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook for about 7 minutes until the onion is just translucent.
- Add the rice, beans and bay leaf to the onion mixture and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes stirring a couple of times.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken broth and stir to make sure all the rice is covered with the liquid. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 25-35 minutes or until the moisture is absorbed. Stir occasionally to prevent any burning on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.