The fresh lemon and herbs in this Zesty Lemon Rice makes this simple recipe the perfect side dish for your fish, chicken or beef.
If you ask me what my favorite flavor or scent is...on anything and in anything. Well, except for candy! The answer will always be citrus. Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange or Lime. I’d even choose Kumquat if that was an option!
Whether it’s in a cocktail, a dish or even a perfume, if I see citrus as an option...that’s a win win for this gal!
So imagine the happy dance I did when given the task of Zesty Lemon Rice for Jurga and Tim’s springtime Great 8 Dinner, The Aegean Sea!
The ingredients are so simple. Basically items you’ve already got in your pantry and refrigerator. Lemons, onion, long grain rice, which I love to get in bulk at Sprouts, parsley, just to name a few.
Imagining the freshness of the lemon juice and zest...you can practically smell it already, right? Add the aromas of the sautéing onions to that light citrus scent and you’re almost there!
With the pot of goodness cooking on the stove, you’ll be tempted to stir, but try not to! Like a baby sleeping...leave “her” be! Let “him” sleep!
Once you add the lemon juice, zest and herbs, this is when the temptation overpowers you!
Go ahead, now you can grab a spoon! Have a taste straight from the pot!
Whether you choose to eat it hot or at room temperature, you’ll agree, this is one side dish that is bursting with flavor!
Served alongside Jurga's Chicken Souvlaka, this Lemon Rice was the perfect addition.
With the citrus and dill, I can imagine how delicious it would be with Great 8 Friends' Salmon Sliders or Grilled Swordfish with Mint Cucumber Salsa...
νόστιμο (“delicious” in Greek!)
Please leave a rating!
Zesty Lemon Rice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons extra virgin oil
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons parsley, minced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, or just before onion becomes brown.
- Add the rice and stir until rice turns mostly translucent.
- Add broth and water. Cover.
- Bring to a simmer and turn heat to low.
- Cook for 12 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the water.
- Remove pot from from heat. Allow to rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and gently stir.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice and herbs. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Be a Gr8 Friend and tell us what you think!