Have you been looking for a recipe that gives you a sweet, spicy, savory and nutty flavor all in one? This side dish is just that!
I love side dishes that can be made quickly with few ingredients and ahead of time. This is one of those. Gather up 7 ingredients and within 1/2 hour, you will have a tasty side dish!
How to make this simple pineapple rice:
- Peel and cut the fruit into 1/4" chunks. Although canned pineapple certainly can be used in a pinch, I really like to use a fresh pineapple. Maybe it's because this recipe only needs about 1/2 of a pineapple so I then have 1/2 of this sweet tropical fruit to snack on. By looking at the pineapple one might think that it is a hassle to peel and cut.
- Bring the broth and pineapple juice to a boil.
- Add the rice, pineapple, and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions and macadamia nuts.
- Serve! How easy is that?!
How to serve the rice:
This recipe can be served right from the pan onto the plate. Either add the macadamia nuts to the pan and stir or sprinkle on top of each serving on the plate.
Or easy enough is family style! Add the rice to a serving bowl and pass around the table. We also pass a small bowl of the toasted macadamia nuts in case someone can't eat nuts or doesn't prefer them.
How about serve it in a boat? That's right, a pineapple boat! This video shows how easy it is to make a pineapple boat.
Cut the pineapple in half. With a sharp pointed knife, cut around the edge and then slice. Scoop the fruit out with a spoon and, voilà, you have a pineapple boat.
Serve your Pineapple Rice with:
- Slow Cooker Meatballs ~ Hawaiian Style
- Island Pulled Pork
- Grilled Fish or Macadamia Crusted Mahi Mahi
- Jurga's delicious slow cooker ribs finished on the grill
- Fish Tacos
Pineapple Rice Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth, or water
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice, if using canned pineapple instead of fresh, use the juice from the can for the recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice, or your favorite white rice
- 1 heaping cup chopped fresh pineapple, ~ 8 ounces of chopped pineapple cut into 1/4" chunks, (canned crushed pineapple can also be used)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 - 2 green onions, light and dark parts chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted (See Gr8 Tip below)
- Add the chicken broth and pineapple juice to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, pineapple, and the red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Place the lid on the pot, turn the heat to medium low and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes. Check the rice at 20 minutes and continue to cook if there is still liquid that hasn't absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions.
- Either stir the macadamia nuts into the rice or sprinkle them on top of the serving bowl.
Gr8 Tip:To toast raw macadamia nuts:
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or foil.
- Toast the nuts for 5-8 minutes. Watch carefully and take out of the oven when golden brown.
Gr8 Make-Ahead Tip:
- The rice can be made up to a day ahead of time. Prepare through step 3, cover and keep in the refrigerator.
- To serve at room temperature, take out of the refrigerator about 45 minutes ahead of time. Add the macadamia nuts before serving.
- To serve warm, add a few dabs of butter to the rice, cover with foil and warm in a 325℉ oven for about 15 minutes. Remove foil, add the macadamia nuts and stir.