This White Cheddar Chicken Chili is a delicious chili using white navy beans and white cheddar cheese giving it a one of a kind flavor.
Feed chili to a crowd:
It’s great to have a soup or chili recipe that is easy to make, tasty and appealing to a crowd. This spicy White Cheddar Chicken Chili is not the expected kidney bean, beef version of America’s beloved one pot meal. The main ingredients of chicken and white beans makes it a bit unique and one of our family’s favorites.
Make this chili ahead of time:
Like other chilis, this can be made the day before serving. This makes life easier if you are entertaining a crowd; and it actually tastes even better on day two.
Each guest can personalize their bowl by offering different condiments like chopped avocado, chopped scallions, limes, any of your favorite cheeses, chopped tomatoes, whole or crunched tortilla chips and Joel's favorite, green Tabasco® sauce. My favorite addition is to squeeze fresh lime juice on top!
Chili's On! Come and Get it! Add a salad and some cornbread to the meal and Enjoy!
More Gr8 Chili Recipes:
Please leave a rating!
White Cheddar Chicken Chili
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 ½ Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion, (about 1 medium onion)
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, stemmed, minced (for an extra kick, just chop the jalapeño keeping the seeds and ribs)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 15-ounce cans white beans, divided, drained and rinsed, (such as Great Northern white or cannellini beans)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 4-ounce cans fire roasted diced green chiles
- 1 12-ounce jar or can green salsa
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 3 cups (about 8 ounces) grated white cheddar cheese, (and extra for garnish if desired)
- ½ cup half and half, or heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cover a small-rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking pad.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet and rub with ½ Tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Bake the chicken for approximately 30 to 40 minutes (until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F).
Prepare the remaining chili ingredients while the chicken is baking.
- In a small bowl combine the cumin, oregano, cayenne, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- In your large soup pot, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, jalapeño and garlic and sauté until soft and onions are somewhat translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the spice mixture, stir to combine and sauté for about 2 minutes more.
- Add to the pot 2 cans of the beans, corn, green chilies, salsa and 3 cups chicken stock. Turn the heat to medium-high. Once the chili comes to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- To thicken the chili, put the remaining can of beans into a blender with the remaining 1 cup of stock. Blend until smooth. Add this to the pot of chili.
- Once the chicken is done and cooled just a bit, either shred it using two forks or cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the chicken and shredded cheese to the chili and stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Add the half and half or cream and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- If you like, offer individual toppings with the chili. Some suggestions are chopped cilantro, scallions, diced tomatoes or avocado. Also yummy are crunched tortilla chips, fresh lime juice and of course grated white cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice!).
- This chili is just as good the next day! Make a day ahead and once cooled, refrigerate. Slowly reheat and serve!
Yes, you sure can use Monterey Jack Cheese. Sharp cheese has a bit more tangier or complex flavor but honestly any cheese you want to use would be great! I usually find Cracker Barrel White Cheddar Cheese at my market. Let us know how you like this chili! Have a Gr8 Day!
Hi! This sounds so delicious! If I can't find white cheddar could I use Monterey Jack Cheese?
Hi Lon! Yay! That is awesome that you are getting requests for a Gr8 recipe! Enjoy!
Claudia (Lon) Kerns
I will be making your white cheddar chicken chili for Super Bowl Sunday. I have made it before and friends are starting to request it!! Thanks Great8Friends!!!!