This Spicy and Sweet Potato Soup is a flavorful combination of sweetness and spiciness in a healthy meal all combined in one pot.
Making soup is probably one of my favorite meals to prepare primarily because it is usually pretty easy. This Spicy and Sweet Potato Soup is a one pot meal of ingredients that somehow meld together deliciously.
This soup is a burst of both sweetness and spiciness. The combination of the sweet potatoes with the spices and the sausage gives each bite a mouthful of flavor. Instead of adding the spinach to the soup pot, we usually put a few leaves in the bottom of the soup bowl and ladle the soup on top.
One bowl is not enough! Enjoy!
More Gr8 Soups:
- Roasted Carrot and Tomato Soup with Basil
- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Spring Pea and Arugula Soup
- Spicy Pumpkin Soup
This recipe has been edited since last publication on March 25, 2016.
Spicy and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 11 ounces sausage, cut in 1/4" slices, *See Gr8 Note below
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, remove stems and seeds, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered and sliced into 1/4" slices
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 15.5 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed, (chick peas can also be used)
- 9 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
- Add the sausage slices and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Once the sausage is done, remove them with a slotted spoon and lay them on paper towels to drain the extra oil.
- Add the onion, celery, jalapeño, and garlic to the pan and sauté over medium heat for about 8 minutes.
- To the onion mixture, add the smoked paprika, cumin, chipotle pepper, salt and pepper and sauté for 2 more minutes. While stirring, scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate the brown bits.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the onion mixture and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Occasionally stir the mixture.
- Pour the broth into the pot of potatoes and over medium-high heat, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are tender, you can use your immersion blender or potato masher to smash the potatoes. I use my immersion blender just a bit so that my soup is both smooth and chunky.
- Add the sausage and white beans and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add a small handful of spinach leaves to your soup bowl and ladle the soup on top. Enjoy!