There is nothing better than a hot bowl of a hearty soup for supper and this easy and tasty Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup fills the bill!
A hot bowl of soup for a Fall supper is just the ticket! This Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to throw together, especially if you already have chicken cooked and ready to shred. If you don't, see the Gr8 tips below for getting your chicken ready and of course this can be done way ahead of time and then the soup is quickly thrown together. Often I'll pick up a roasted chicken from Costco or the local market and use some of it for the soup and still have some left to use for another dish.
Also remember that when making a soup or stew, the recipe is just a guide. Your taste buds are the real guide. For this soup if you want more chicken or zucchini then add as much as you like! In fact this would be an easy recipe to double. Just about every ingredient below can be adjusted. So give it a try, adjust to your taste, make yourself one of Debbie's Margaritas with a “Kick” and ENJOY!
Other Delicious Soup Recipes
- Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Italian Vegetable Soup
- Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- Tomato Soup with Parmesan Lace
- Spicy Pumpkin Soup
Edited from the original publication of September 1, 2015.
Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped zucchini, (about 2 medium or 1 large squash)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 14.5 ounce can unsalted fire-roasted diced tomatoes, (do not drain)
- 1 15 ounce can unsalted black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces shredded chicken, *see Gr8 Tips below
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime , cut into wedges
- Tortilla Chips
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the zucchini, onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeño, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, garlic, and bay leaves. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder and ground cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the stock and canned tomatoes and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, shredded chicken and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Put some tortilla chips into a ziploc bag and break into bite sizes pieces. The tortilla chips can be put into the bottom of the bowl and the soup served on top of them or they can be sprinkled on the top of the soup in the bowl (or both on the bottom and the top!)
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls; top with tortilla chips (if you are adding them to the top), avocado and remaining cilantro. Serve each person a wedge of lime to squeeze into their soup (Don't skip this step! It makes a yummy difference!).