This is one of those "go to" appetizers that is fairly hearty and easy to make. I like to make all the parts ahead of time and then assemble right before my guests arrive.
The crostini, bacon and shrimp can all be prepared earlier in the day. Then all you have to do is slice the avocado and assemble. The perfect job for one of your kitchen helpers! Enjoy!
Shrimp, Candied Bacon, Avocado Crostini
- 4 thick slices of bacon
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 Soft French baguette,, cut into 1/4" thick slices
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8 (21-25 per pound) raw shrimp,, peeled, deveined and tail off
- garlic powder
- 1 large avocado
- Spike® seasoning
- fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the bacon slices in half.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Lay the slices of bacon on the wire rack and sprinkle with the brown sugar and some pepper. Press the sugar gently into the bacon.
- Bake the bacon until very brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool until crisp.
- Cut each half slice into 4 pieces. (The bacon can be prepared a day ahead and stored in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before assembling.)
- Lightly brush the bread slices with olive oil.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown and crisp. (This can be prepared a day ahead and stored in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature.)
- In a small nonstick skillet heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp and season with garlic powder and salt.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until pink. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise. (The shrimp can be made earlier in the day.)
- To assemble: ・Place a thin slice of avocado on top of a crostini and sprinkle with Spike seasoning.・Top with 2 pieces of bacon and a shrimp half.・Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Lightly drizzle with lemon juice and serve.
- To keep your avocado from turning brown on the appetizer tray, once you’ve sliced it, rinse the slices under cold running water, and gently pat dry. This will keep your appetizer looking fresh and green!
- Spike Seasoning, it should be available in the baking and spice section of your grocery store. There are several varieties and they even have a salt-free/gluten-free option!
Recipe from Caroline Cazaumayou.