Homemade Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps is so simple and delicious that you'll wonder where it's been all your life! This classic soup is made with just a few pantry staples.
Tomato soup, is there any food that reminds us more of childhood? As baby boomers we grew up with Campbell's Cream of Tomato Soup. This homemade Tomato Soup recipe is one of my mom's favorites. And the best thing about it is that it's easy to throw together for a weeknight dinner.
It's even a little fancy with the Parmesan Lace! Okay, call them Parmesan Crisps if you like, but don't you think Parmesan Lace sounds more elegant...And like a lot more trouble? They do sound like a lot of work, but they're not!
How to Make Parmesan Crisps
This is so simple, it's almost ridiculous.
- Preheat the oven, you want it nice and hot.
- Use a silicone lined baking sheet. You can substitute parchment paper, but the silicone liners work best.
- Divide the Parmesan cheese into quarters and make four mounds on the lines baking sheet.
- Pat it down a little bit.
- If you like a little spice, sprinkle red pepper flakes over each mound, or black pepper. You won't need salt, Parmy cheese is fairly salty on its own.
- Put the baking sheet in the hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Once they are melted, remove the sheet from the oven and cool.
- Then carefully lift the crisps off the silicone and enjoy!
- If you want to make ahead of time, separate the crisps with waxed paper and store in a sealed container.
Add this versatile Tomato Soup with Parmesan Crisps recipe to your repertoire and the next time you want an elegant starter or an easy weeknight meal, grab a can of tomatoes, chop an onion and make this delicious dish!
Other Tomato Soup Recipes
Tomato Soup with Parmesan Lace
- Medium Saucepan
- Immersion Blender or Blender
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Baking Sheet Liner
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 1/4 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 basil leaves, sliced for garnish, optional
- 5 Tablespoons coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes, optional
Making the Soup
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat then add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add the onions, carrots, and garlic.
- Saute until the onions are translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the chicken broth then raise the heat to bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer the soup for 20 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and blend using either an immersion blender or a standard blender.
- Once the soup is smooth, add the cream and stir until incorporated.
Making the Parmesan Lace
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Make 4 mounds of the cheese at least 2 inches apart on a silicone lined baking sheet. (Parchment paper can also be used, but the silicone liner is recommended.)
- Pat the cheese down slightly.
- If using the red pepper flakes, sprinkle a pinch over each cheese mound.
- Then place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes until melted and golden brown.
- Let cool then carefully lift off of silicone sheet to serve.
Serving the Soup
- Divide the soup between 4 bowls.
- Lay a Parmesan lace on top and sprinkle with the basil.
Gr8 Do Ahead Tips:
- The soup can be made a day ahead of time up through the blending. Refrigerate covered. When ready to serve, reheat gently and stir in the cream.
- The Parmesan Lace can be made early in the day. Separate with waxed paper and seal in a container until ready to serve.