A Hot Toddy is the perfect solution if you're suffering with a cold or if you want a warm, comforting cocktail! Just go to your pantry and mix together a few ingredients for this easy old-fashioned remedy.
I woke up with a cold this morning....ugh! Best solution? A Hot Toddy! And it is so much tastier than those over the counter cold remedies.
Plus, I have the ingredients in my pantry and won't have to get out of my cozy jammies to go to the drug store.
The heat warms, the lemon and honey soothes and the alcohol will lull me to sleep... sleep that gives my body a chance to heal.
If you're under 21 or don't drink alcohol, you can leave it out. The warmth of the drink can also help you fall asleep.
The alcohol in the hot toddy can dilate the blood vessels which may help the mucus membranes deal with the infection.
In this case, more is not better; only drink one. Too much alcohol will have the opposite effect and you won't be able to sleep!
Families have been making hot toddies for generations to help get through cold and flu season. There is some science regarding the benefits of a hot toddy.
Even if you don't have a cold, this is a Gr8 winter drink! Jazz it up a bit with some extra spices like a cinnamon stick or two!
How to Make a Hot Toddy
You can use just boiling water or you can use an herbal tea. Caffeinated black tea also tastes delicious, but if you're sensitive to caffeine, it may not be the best choice.
If you find yourself making tea often, you may want to invest in an electric tea kettle. I love mine!
After you've chosen your tea, pour the boiling water over it into your mug. Leave some space at the top.
Then add the whiskey, honey, and lemon juice. Stir until the honey is dissolved. Inhale the warm steam and sip on the soothing lemon and honey. Nighty night!
Other Winter Comfort Foods
Whether you have a cold or not, these recipes are comforting and delicious and will lift your spirits.
- Kyle's Chicken Noodle Soup
- Debbie's Matzo Ball Soup
- Beef and Potato Stew
- Minestrone Soup
- French Onion Soup in the Slow Cooker
- 8 ounces of boiling water
- 1 herbal tea bag of your choice, (Herbal tea is recommended the caffeine in black tea will only keep you awake...and you need to sleep!)
- 1 ounce whiskey, any kind will work.
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Pour the boiling water over the tea bag into a mug.
- Steep the tea for a couple minutes until it reaches the strength you prefer, then remove the tea bag.
- Add the whiskey, lemon juice, and honey to the mug.
- Stir until all the honey is dissolved.
- Cuddle up under a cozy blanket and inhale the steam and sip your Hot Toddy until gone.
- Then take a nice nap!
- You don't have to use tea at all, simply add the whiskey, lemon juice, and honey to a cup of very hot water, this is the more classic version.
- Try using apple cider instead of tea, just heat it up before adding the whiskey, lemon juice and honey.
One of our favorite places to buy tea is Perennial Tea Room. It's a small business run by nice people and they will ship to you!