When that cold winter air hits your bones and keeps you indoors all day long, other than staying under your covers, not much else can warm you up like a bowl of hot soup.
Am I right? A hearty pot of goodness that will soothe your body and comfort your soul. That pot I'm talking about is Winter Minestrone. All the best vegetables that will make you feel good every sip of the way! This soup has a list of ingredients that are simple to find and readily available all year long. If you happen to frequent Trader Joe's as often as I do, grab that Fearless Flyer pamphlet!
All of the items except the potatoes can be found either canned or already peeled, chopped and packaged...all ready and set to go.
We sure do love that store, don't we? The number of ingredients may seem like a lot here, but take a closer look...I bet you have the majority of them in your refrigerator, pantry or spice rack right now! Don't be surprised at the amount of kale. That is one ingredient that always amazes me when I see the amount needed.
It cooks down so fast and then where'd it go?! It's the perfect balance in this soup. Easy ingredients, easy directions. Short and simple right? Can this soup be any easier? Wait...let me rephrase that...other than opening up a can of soup, have you ever seen a recipe for homemade soup easier than this? You haven't, right?! Go ahead...this recipe is calling your name. Cozy up to this pot of goodness. It's like a warm hug after a cold winter day.
- 3 ½ Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 butternut squash , peeled and cubed
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 small fennel bulb, frilly ends removed and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 medium red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 ¼ teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 cups chopped Tuscan kale
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- grated parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large soup pot over medium-low heat, heat the oil.
- Add garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add onions and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the kale and beans (squash, fennel, carrots, potatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, water and broth). I LOVE orange! Check out the color here!
- Stir to combine and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes are nearly done yet still a bit firm but not mushy.
- Add the chopped kale and rinsed beans. Simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the kale is tender to bite.
- Once served up in bowls or cups, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.