No fancy equipment necessary to make this delicious and Easy Vanilla Ice Cream. This recipe can be used with an ice cream maker or without!
If you have ever compared store-bought to home-made ice cream, you know there's a huge difference, not only in texture and flavor, but most importantly, in wholesome ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So the next time you reach for store-bought ice cream, stop! With a little time and patience, you can create your own delicious Easy Vanilla Ice Cream with this recipe. No fancy equipment is required.
While an ice cream maker does produce better results, here is a way to make a good quality ice cream without one.
Both methods are included in this recipe. Either way, I just love storing the ice cream in these classic white ice cream containers.
I like to divvy up a batch of the ice cream base and make different flavorings. It's easy to mix in fresh fruit; try peeling and dicing some peaches or nectarines to include in the ice cream. Fresh Strawberries are also delicious, they make it a pretty color, too!
Please comment below and let us know what yummy flavor combos you come up with in the comments. We'd also love if you would click on the star rating on the recipe card. Please and thank you!
Easy Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk, well chilled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
- 1-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and the sugar, until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 – 2 minutes on low speed, if using a hand mixer.
- Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla and salt to taste.
- Taste and add more sugar and salt as needed to balance the flavors.
Using an Ice Cream Maker
- Make the cream mixture. (see instruction above)
- Turn machine on, pour mixture into freezer bowl through ingredient spout and let mix according to manufacturer’s instructions, until thickened, about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer to an airtight container and let it freeze until hard.
- Serve with fresh fruit or as a side with your favorite baked pie.
Without an Ice Cream Maker
- Freeze an empty freezer-safe shallow bowl or pan (stainless steel works well). This should take about 45 minutes.
- Make the cream mixture. (see instructions above)
- Put the bowl with the cream mixture over an ice bath to chill, be careful not to get water into the cream mixture.
- Move the chilled ice cream mixture into the frozen bowl or pan.
- Freeze for about 20 minutes and check the ice cream.
- As the edges start to freeze, stir the mixture with a whisk or spatula to break up the partially frozen ice cream.
- Return to the freezer.
- Stir ice cream vigorously every 30 minutes until it is firmly frozen.
- Repeat 4 to 5 times until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Store ice cream in a covered freezer container until ready to use.