Everyone loves this cake! Whenever we go to a get-together my friends ask me to bring either this World's Best Carrot Cake or my Spiced Salad. This cake goes together fairly quickly and if you bake it in a Bundt® pan, it is even easier. (I'm kind of a lazy Bundt® gal, myself.) You may not like Carrot Cake, but you will love this one!
If you want to jazz it up a little, make a half batch of Decorator Icing, tint 1/4 of the icing orange and the remainder green. Put the orange icing in a plastic sandwich bag, twist the top to close and snip off a small piece of one corner. Practice making carrots by squeezing the icing out of the bag. Start at the large end of the carrot and as the carrot tapers release your pressure on the bag. Do the same for the carrot tops. If you wish to use the green icing for the border, you will need a decorator tip of your choosing.
World's Best Carrot Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups grated carrots,, well packed
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice,, do not strain
FROSTING / FILLING
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter,, at room temperature
- 8 ounces creme cheese,, at room temperature
- 12 ounces confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Prepare your pans – (Use two 9″ pans or three 8″ pans.) Grease the bottom of the pans and lay a piece of parchment cut to size in the bottom of each pan.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the first 8 ingredients (dry ingredients through the pecans).
- In a separate bowl lightly beat the eggs, then add oil, vanilla, grated carrots and pineapple.
- Combine ingredients of both bowls and mix well.
- Distribute batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes if using 8″ pans and 40-45 minutes for the 9" pans.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool layers completely.
FROSTING / FILLING
- Beat together butter, cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in coconut and chopped pecans.
- Fill and frost cooled layers.