This Decorator Icing tastes just like the birthday cakes of our childhood. It can be used to frost cakes and also thickened for piping.
With only 4 ingredients that you probably have in your pantry, you can create a beautiful, festive cake for any occasion.
Simply cream the shortening, then add the powdered sugar. The mixture will be very stiff, but don't worry! It will all come together with the addition of the milk.
I used to use a handheld mixer and this worked, but it is much easier (and less messy!) with my KitchenAid stand mixer.
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1 cup solid shortening, Crisco or Butter, softened (If you use butter, your frosting will taste delicious, but it will not be pure white)
- 4-6 Tablespoons milk, any kind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, clear vanilla is best, if you can find it
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, on high speed, cream your shortening or butter until well softened.
- Add the confectioner's sugar one cup at a time and continue to beat. Frosting will be thick, but don't worry.
- Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Add milk one Tablespoon at a time until frosting is the desired consistency.
- If the frosting becomes too thin, add more confectioner's sugar. If it is too thick, add more milk.
- Use as desired.