These Buttered Popcorn Cookies are melt in your mouth, can't eat just one deliciousness! Fresh, salty popcorn encased in a brown sugar sweet cookie, YUM!
What's the aroma that hits you as soon as you step into the movie theater? Yep, that's right: popcorn! Well the next time you go to the movies, these would be perfect to take along! You've got your buttered popcorn right here...and it's in a cookie! Buttered Popcorn Cookies!
Would you have ever thought you'd have a cookie with popcorn in it? Well my friends, here you go! I absolutely LOVE these. Getting my house to smell like a movie theater (and a bakery!), I've got 2 ways you can make that happen! One way, is shown below, by popping the kernels in a pot on the stove. Another Gr8 option (and my favorite) is our microwave popcorn recipe, not the packaged ones sitting in your pantry! A healthier, simpler, kernels only way without all the additives.
These are a favorite cookie at our house. Whenever someone asks if I can bring cookies to something, say a picnic, a cookie exchange, a day at the beach, I love to bring these imperfect, bumpy irregular treats. I often bring these to share with my friends at Sizzix! Everyone loves them..."Wait! Buttered Popcorn cookies? What? Really?! I've GOT to try this....Oh my gosh, can I please have the recipe?" is pretty much the response I get every time!
I happily share the recipe with my co-workers and I'm more than happy to share it here with you, too. So let's go! Preheat the oven, measure your Orville Redenbacher Popcorn Kernels and a few other ingredients! Maybe choose a favorite movie! Relax and enjoy!
Buttered Popcorn Cookies
Ingredients for the Popcorn:
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels, I like the Orville Redenbacher Orginal Yellow Gourmet Kernels.
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
Ingredients for the Dough:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt
Directions for the Popcorn:
- Add oil to a large saucepan and add popcorn kernels. Shake pan arranging the kernels in 1 layer. Cover.
- Heat pot over medium high heat. Once the kernels start popping, continously keep the saucepan moving until all of the kernels have popped, about 5-7 minutes. If you notice a lull in the popping, remove from the heat to avoid burnt kernels.
- While still in the pot, toss the popcorn with the table salt and melted butter.
- Transfer popcorn to a bowl, removing unpopped kernels. There should be close to 4 (or a tad more) cups.
- Allow to cool.
Directions for the Dough:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix at medium to high speed until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- With a spatula combine the dry ingredients with the butter-sugar mixture.
- Carefully fold in the cooled popcorn until it's evenly combined. Although it may look like there's more popcorn than needed, it's actually the perfect amount. The broken popcorn pieces actually add a little charm and character!
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- With a cookie scoop or a measuring tablespoon, mound the dough and place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are light brown.
- Let them sit on the baking sheet for a few minuets to firm up, before transferring them to a rack to cool.
Gr8 Tip:I made these for my annual Christmas Cookie Exchange party one year (7 dozen!) They were a hit!