Who doesn't love french fries? Well, we do! Frying them in a big pot of oil is way too much mess and simply put, just not as healthy. This method for these Crispy Oven Fries is easy. Soaking the potatoes in water removes some of the starch which helps to achieve crispier french fries.
I also love skinny fries but of course you can cut them in any size you prefer.
Gr8 Friends, please let us know if you have a different method of achieving crispy oven fries. We would love to hear from you!
Oh So Deliciously Crispy Oven Fries
- 2 to 4 about 1 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, (I used russets in this recipe.)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, (a bit more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper, optional
- sea salt, or other seasoning of choice
- Wash the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes lengthwise into small even wedges.
- Place the sliced potatoes into a large bowl of cold water and soak for 1 - 2 hours and as long as overnight in the frig. Change the water after an hour if it starts looking cloudy. (If you did not plan ahead for the soaking time, soak the potatoes in hot tap water for 10 minutes.)
- Rinse and then drain the potatoes. Dry with a kitchen towel. The drier the better!
- Preheat the oven to 475°F and adjust the oven rack to the lowest position in the oven.
- Dry out the bowl that the potatoes were soaking in. Put the potatoes back in the bowl and toss with the olive oil (start with 3 Tablespoons and add the fourth if needed) and kosher salt. Add freshly ground pepper to taste if you like.
- Place the empty baking sheet in the oven for a few minutes so that it is hot when you place the potatoes on it. This step helps with making crispier fries.
- Arrange the fries in a single layer on the hot baking sheet and cover the sheet tightly with foil. Do not crowd them! It would be better to use two baking sheets than to crowd the fries on one.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Rotate the pan after 10 minutes to help the fries brown evenly.
- Remove the fries from the oven. With a spatula, loosen the fries from the bottom of the pan. Gently move them around while trying not to break them. It's best to try to move the crispier fries to the middle and the softer fries to the edge of the pan.
- Continue to bake for 5-10 minutes. Watch them closely and remove them from the oven when they are at the crispiness that you like.
- Taste and season if necessary with more salt, pepper or other seasoning of your choice.
- Serve immediately and Enjoy!