Sundays, with a roast in the oven, remind me of my younger days at grandma's house. She would easily throw together a few ingredients and resulting in a comforting and delicious meal. I cherish the memories of watching her whip together a supper with very little effort. This slow cooker tri-tip roast and veggies brings back memories of the aroma coming from her kitchen on Sundays. She would slow roast in the oven which makes me think she would have loved a slow cooker if she had one.
The roast would be served for "supper" in the late afternoon. Then later that evening we would be hungry so we would pull out the leftover roast and make a sandwich and that therefore would be our "dinner."
Anna gave me this slow cooker tri-tip roast recipe about 8 years ago. I have made it several times which satisfies my family's desire for a comfort food meal. If you don't have a slow-cooker (Crock-pot®) or prefer to cook this in the oven, bake it at 325° for 2 to 3 hours. Add a salad, creamed corn and a comforting dessert and you'll have a Gr8 meal! Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Tri-Tip Roast
If you don't have a slow-cooker (Crock-pot®) or prefer to cook this in the oven, cover with foil and bake it at 325° for 2 to 3 hours.
- 3 to 4 pound Tri-Tip beef roast, (you can also use a chuck roast or rump roast)
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds medium potatoes, quartered or cut into 1 to 2-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 6 large carrots, quartered or halved lengthwise and cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces
Rub Paste Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano or basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- dash of dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub the paste all over the roast and put into a food storage bag.
- Marinate in refrigerator for at least an hour or as long as overnight.
- Put potatoes, onion, and carrots into a 6 to 7quart slow cooker.
- Drizzle with the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add parsley, rosemary, oregano or basil, dill, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to coat thoroughly.
- Place the roast on the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Different cookers cook in different amounts of time. Using your meat thermometer, check the temperature of your meat and turn off when it is 140℉ - 145℉.
- Enjoy your Sunday and Enjoy your Supper!