I have always loved a little something salty with something fruity, so the pairing of prosciutto and melon is one of my favorite appetizers.
Just as it is with most things, it's fun to switch things up from time to time. Changing one element of this traditional dish, makes it seem like a different dish altogether. Just like tossing a new pillow onto a couch brightens up a room, the added "drizzle" of this minty balsamic glaze, brings new life to this already delicious appetizer. The sweetness of the melon and the saltiness of the prosciutto is Gr8 on its own, but the finishing touch added in the end...even better! Don't be afraid of this unfamiliar combination! It's tasty, refreshing and easy, too! With the simple ingredients, preparation and pretty presentation, it's sure to be a winner.
Here's a new version of this classic hors d'oeuvre.
Prosciutto and Melon with Minty Balsamic Glaze
- 4 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium cantaloupe, seeded and cut into wedges
- 4 - 6 thin slices prosciutto, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons chopped chives
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar, mint and sugar. Whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Allow mixture to rest for 30 minutes and thicken a bit.
- Press the solids through a fine sieve, set over a small bowl. Discard solids.
- Carefully slide the blade of a sharp knife between the melon and the rind, lengthwise, keeping fruit on top of slice, but don't separate.
- Without cutting through the rind, cut down into the melon, creating individual cubes
- Keeping the cubes on the full rind, place a piece of prosciutto in between each melon cube.
- Arrange cubed wedges on a serving platter and drizzle each wedge with some of the reserved minty mixture.
- Garnish the plates with the chopped chives.
- It's sure to be a crowd pleaser… Enjoy!