There are some flavors that you wonder, "does that really work?" That is the reaction I had the first time I ever saw a salad with watermelon, tomato and feta...how could that combo work? Well, the salty creaminess of the feta is the perfect counterpoint to the sweet juiciness of the watermelon, add in some sun ripened heirloom tomatoes and you have the perfect summer salad!
This is one of Vince's favorite summer dishes; a local restaurant serves it every summer and Vince is always disappointed when it leaves the menu in the fall. I had to learn to make it for him so this is my version.
Watermelon Tomato Feta Salad
- ⅓ cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 3 Tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups watermelon cubes,, about ¾" square
- 2 medium yellow heirloom tomatoes,, cut into ¾" pieces
- Feta cheese,, cut into ¾" cubes
- In a blender or food processor blend the basil, mint, garlic and lemon juice.
- With the blender or food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve pressing on the solids, then discard the solids.
- Stir the salt and pepper into the the dressing. Then taste and adjust seasonings.
- Arrange the cubes of watermelon, tomatoes and Feta cheese on 6 plates.
- Drizzle with the dressing.
Gr8 Serving Idea:Serve this salad with a piece of grilled fish and a glass of crisp rosé wine and you will have a beautiful, refreshing and healthy summer meal.
Gr8 Do-Ahead Tip:Make the dressing up to 2 days in advance. Let come to room temperature before serving.