Having a dinner celebrating Ina Garten and her recipes is not only delicious but easy! Our main dish was Ina's yummy Forty Cloves of Garlic Chicken.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
She is really just the best! Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa is by far my favorite chef!
Usually starting by getting all the ingredients out and measured can be quite helpful. Ina's tip of boiling all the cloves of garlic for a minute before peeling was a Gr8 timesaver!
I had never made it before and when I saw that there were only a few ingredients and they included chicken, garlic, wine, and cognac, I knew it had to be tasty!
When hosting a dinner party, I learned from Ina that preparing as much as possible ahead of time enables the cook to enjoy the guests and not be slaving in the kitchen.
The ability to make this dish the day before and store it in a casserole dish in the fridge and then warm it in the oven before serving is a huge time saver. As Ina would say, "How easy is that?"
I am so glad we served this for the Gr8 dinner as it was so delicious and flavorful and all my Gr8 friends loved it. I have made it several times since.
Give it a try! Add a side dish like these Gr8 Green Beans and you will have a Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner! Enjoy!
Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic
- 3 heads garlic, about 40 cloves *(see Gr8 tip below)
- 2 3 ½ pound chickens, cut into eighths (I used packaged breasts and thighs with skin and bones.)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Cognac, divided (I did not have Cognac so I used Brandy.)
- 1 ½ cups dry white wine
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- Click here for Ina's step-by-step instructions to make this delicious recipe.
- *When pealing the garlic, cut out any green sprouts and discard.
- I was not able to find the chicken already cut up so I bought 4 breasts and 4 thighs with the skin and bones.
- This dish is perfect to make ahead of time. I made it one afternoon and stored it in a casserole dish in the frig and the next night I warmed it up in a 350℉ oven for about 30 minutes covered with foil.