This homemade hot cocoa mix makes a very tasty cup of hot chocolate! Most certainly it is cheaper than the boxed store bought packets and makes a perfect and fun gift!
When my kids were younger, they loved to cozy up in front of the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate. Making a batch of homemade powdered hot cocoa mix was perfect to always have on hand.
When I started making Anna's homemade marshmallows, this was really the perfect treat to add to their mug of chocolate!
And what an easy, fun, and delicious treat to give to someone! What a great hostess gift! Make a recipe of cocoa mix and a batch of marshmallows and you will be the favorite guest!
Why make Homemade Powdered Cocoa Mix?
- Easy (only 5 ingredients) to prepare and can be stored in a tightly covered container in the pantry ready to use anytime.
- You really can adjust the amount of sugar and cocoa that you want. More or less depending on your sweet tooth.
- Hot cocoa mix is perfect to leave on a brunch table so that your family and guests can help themselves. Three scoops or more per cup! It's up to each person!
- More economical than buying the prepackaged hot cocoa packets.
- Add a spoonful to your coffee and, voilà, you will enjoy a mocha coffee.
- If you prefer a richer drink, warm a cup of milk. Water is typically used for a lighter version.
- A cute jar filled with the mix would be a festive gift at holiday time or a fun hostess gift! Add a cute mug and a bag of marshmallows or a cute stirring spoon.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Cup of Hot Cocoa
- 8 ounces water, or milk for a richer drink
- 3 Heaping Tablespoons Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix, recipe below
- marshmallows or whipped cream, for topping of the mug of cocoa. Not counted in nutrition info.
Hot Cocoa Mix
- Combine all the dry ingredients above in a bowl and stir together with a whisk.
- Put the dry mixture through a sieve to eliminate any small clumps.
- Store in an airtight container in your cupboard.
Hot Cocoa (instructions for one 8 ounce mug)
- Warm 8 ounces of water or milk on the stove or in the microwave.
- Add 3 heaping Tablespoons of the dry homemade cocoa mix and stir until completely combined.
- Top off with marshmallows or whipped cream. Oh, yes, this step is a must!