Warm yourself up with a mug of the best, most Heavenly Hot Chocolate! This recipe makes 2 mugs of creamy chocolatey deliciousness!
It’s January, it’s cold, it’s raining, and honestly I cannot think of anything that sounds more warm and cozy right now (besides my slippers) than a mug of homemade hot chocolate!
When my kiddos were young, I remember they loved to have a big mug of hot cocoa on a cold and rainy day.
Originally published January 31, 2017
I was reminded of this when I arrived home earlier this week and was greeted at our neighborhood corner by these two adorable smiles giving free hot cocoa to anyone that would stop.
Oh it tasted so good! Thank you for your sweet kindness and your beautiful smiles!
Now I want another mug and there is no one on the corner giving out free hot chocolate. So why not make my own?
Before being an empty nester, I always had the packaged hot chocolate mix in the pantry. And well, hey, since those days are gone, why not take it up a notch with these wonderful recipes for “adult” hot chocolate?! Now we're talkin'!
Today it is still before noon so I guess I'll stick with the alcohol-free version this time. Luckily in the cupboard I do have chocolate (always!) and milk in the frig. Voilà! Hot chocolate is served!
Regardless of how the warm chocolate is prepared, I’m happiest when it is topped with Anna’s easy to make Homemade Marshmallows! The addition of the melted sweetness is perfection!
Hot cocoa powder is another option for making this warm cozy beverage and our homemade mixture is easy to make and have on hand. It also makes a Gr8 gift!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 ounces good quality chocolate, I use bittersweet but any chocolate you like will work. If you don't use bittersweet then you will probably need to watch the sugar amount you add.
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- marshmallows or whipped cream, optional
- Chop the chocolate into smaller pieces if needed.
- In a saucepan, slowly warm one cup of milk over medium-low heat.
- Add the chocolate and whisk until chocolate is completely melted.
- Whisk in remaining cup of milk and continue to warm.
- Taste. If you prefer it a bit sweeter, add one Tablespoon of sugar at a time, tasting as you go.
- Pour into your favorite mug and add some love; marshmallows or whipped cream.
- Use any milk you prefer. Almond, Coconut, or Soy would be delicious and dairy free too.
- If you would like a creamier texture, add some cream or half-and-half.
- During the holidays it's festive to sprinkle peppermint candy bits on top of the melted marshmallow or whipped cream.
- Any left over can be kept in a sealed container in the fridge and slowly warmed on the stove before serving.