This Cheesy Smashed Potato Bake is the perfect side dish when you're serving a lot of people. It's easy, filled with cheese, butter and cream, and everyone loves it!
Doesn't that sound like everything you could want in a side dish, Cheesy Smashed Potato Bake?
Now, remember, I am the lazy cook of the group. I'd rather throw a potato in the microwave to bake than to boil potatoes and grate cheese.
But the beauty of our dinners is that we get assigned a dish and we have to make it! So we are often outside of our comfort zones; or, at the very least, out of our regular cooking habits!
Jurga had me make this dish for a Gr8 Dinner and I've made it a couple of times since for big family dinners.
It's perfect because it's fairly easy, it feeds a lot of people, and everyone loves it! You don't even have to peel the potatoes; just boil them, smash them and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
Do it ahead of time and bake it just before serving. I love dishes like this!
Cheesy Smashed Potato Bake
- 2 ½ pounds red skinned potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- ½ pound grated Jarlsberg cheese or Swiss cheese,, divided use
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup finely chopped chives or use green onion tops,, divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash the potatoes and cut into quarters. Remove any bad spots you may see using a small sharp paring knife.
- Put the potatoes into a pot and cover with water. Add the Tablespoon of salt to the water.
- Over high heat, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the water out of the pot and, in the same pan, use a potato masher or large fork to smash the potatoes down. Be sure to keep some chunkiness.
- Set aside about ¼ cup of the cheese then add the remaining cheese to the potatoes along with the butter, the cream and 3 Tablespoons of the chives.
- Stir until all ingredients are well distributed. Then dump the mixture into an oven-proof casserole dish. I used a dish that is 7"x9" and 2 ¾" deep.
- Sprinkle the reserved ¼ cup of cheese over the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle the reserved chives over the top and serve.