How's this for a delicious go to dish?! Zucchini with Orzo, Dill and Feta! Warm or cold! Side dish or salad! I love how fresh the flavors are. I knew it would be a hit when I first stumbled upon it at www.countryliving.com It's fast, fresh and easy! A bit basic on its own, zucchini gets pumped up in this dish with the distinct flavor of dill (which I LOVE!) and the added tang of citrus, which I love even more!
Grab a few zucchini when the green beauties are at their freshest and most plentiful. It's also a Gr8 recipe to use up those late-summer extras.
With the minimal ingredients and ease of preparation, this will be a dish that your family will love... and it might even be a frequent request at your social gatherings!
Zucchini with Orzo, Dill and Feta
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to 350º (medium) or grill pan on stove to medium heat.
- While warm, oil grill grates or pan, if using. Cut off stem and blossom ends of zucchini and then cut in half lengthwise. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Grill cut sides down first until fork tender and grill marks are visible. Turn to grill the skin sides, about 5 minutes each side.
- Meanwhile, peel thin brown skin from shallots and and finely chop.
- Once zucchini is grilled and cool enough to handle, transfer to a cutting board and cut into pieces, no larger than ½″
- Gently combine zucchini and shallot in a large bowl. Try not to overwork it, since the zucchini will be softer once grilled.
- Tent with foil and set aside.
- Cook the orzo according to package instructions to al dente.
- While orzo is cooking, chop the dill and set aside.
- Drain orzo completely and add to the reserved zucchini shallot mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and chopped dill. Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle crumbled feta on top and toss. Although feta cheese adds a little more saltiness, you may want to adjust seasonings (salt and/or pepper) before serving.
Gr8 Tips:It’s up to you (personal choice)…I kept the zucchini whole while grilling, giving the skin a crispy charred layer, but soft and tender inside. As per the recipe’s instructions, the flesh of the zucchini would be grilled as well as the skin. With a loaf of crusty bread this is a Gr8 Vegetarian meal…lunch or dinner! Add cooked chicken and there’s your protein and an even heartier meal! It’s Gr8 at room temperature, too! This would be a perfect vegetarian dish to take to a potluck!
Recipe adapted from www.countryliving.com