This Bloody Mary has a secret ingredient that amps up the flavor profile. The addition of bone broth and the amazing garnishes take this brunch cocktail over the top!
It doesn't matter what time it is, I am always ready for a simple and delicious Bloody Mary. The heartiness of this cocktail makes it a popular drink to be enjoyed anytime.
Store bought mixes are okay but nothing beats making this drink from scratch, where you can control the ratio of ingredients.
Several juices can be used for the base, such as tomato juice, V-8 or Clamato. If you use Clamato (a blend of tomato and clam juice) it's called a Bloody Caesar, a cocktail created and consumed primarily in Canada.
My recipe consists of adding some beef broth with the tomato juice and seasonings.
I discovered that mixing good quality tomato juice with some beef bone broth transforms this classic cocktail into something delicious and nutritious, at least, as nutritious as a cocktail can be! According to the experts, bone broth has some health benefits and is high in protein.
Traditionally, the Bloody Mary is made with unflavored vodka. However, jalapeño or cucumber vodka can also be used.
It is best to make a pitcher without the vodka in the event that someone prefers a virgin Mary. I also leave out the horseradish and add it to taste when making the cocktail.
No Bloody Mary is complete without garnishing with your favorite toppings. I like to drink my brunch by loading it up with veggies such as cucumber slices, celery, pickles, pickled green beans and pepperoncini peppers.
You may want to add some protein by including shrimp, bacon and cheese. This will bring your cocktail to a whole new level!
This post contains affiliate links which means Great Eight Friends may earn a small commission if you click on the link. There is no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These skewers come in handy for grouping the garnishes.
So when the booze strikes (oops, I mean mood!) pour yourself a spicy, savory Bloody Mary!
The Best Bloody Mary Ever
For the Bloody Mary Mix
- 2 quarts tomato juice
- 10 ounces beef bone broth or beef bouillion
- 4 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
For the Cocktail
- 1 750 ml good quality vodka such as Tito's, Grey Goose or Ketel One
- prepared horseradish and smoked paprika, optional
- lemon, lime wedges, cucumbers, pickles, celery, shrimp, bacon (see notes), cheese cubes, olives, pickled green beans, for garnish
- celery salt or Old Bay seasoning for the rim
How to Make the Bloody Mary Mix
- In a gallon container, combine tomato juice, beef broth, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, celery salt and ground pepper. Mix thoroughly and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Cover the container and refrigerate until chilled.
- Once chilled, stir all ingredients thoroughly before serving. Adjust seasonings to taste.
How to Make a Bloody Mary Cocktail
- Pour some Old Bay Seasoning or celery salt on a small plate.
- Rub the rim of a glass with the juicy side of a lemon or lime wedge.
- Roll the rim of the glass in the seasoning until well coated.
- Fill the glass to the top with ice and add 1.5 oz. vodka and 5 oz. bloody mary mix.
- Add desired amount of horseradish and plenty of garnish.