Warm and delicious Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms is a favorite "go to" signature appetizer that is easy to prepare and an obvious crowd pleaser.
The holiday season is rapidly approaching, and we definitely want to make it stress free when it comes to entertaining. Although there are many versions of stuffed mushrooms, this is one of my favorite recipes and is an instant hit at any holiday event.
While raw mushrooms are bland with an odd texture, once cooked, these little gems simply pop with zest and flavor.
These Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are perfect for parties, easy to prepare, and can be assembled a day ahead, chilled and then baked.
More delicious appetizers:
- Layered Crab Dip
- Citrus Olives with Coriander and Fennel
- Fig Walnut Goat Cheese Terrine
- Super Simple Spinach Balls
- Prosciutto and Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 large whole mushrooms,, caps and stems
- 1 pound sweet or mild Italian sausage, without casings
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned Panko crumbs
- 1 large egg yolk
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wash mushrooms in cold water and pat dry. Remove the stems, finely chop them and set aside.
- Place uncooked sausage, onion and garlic in a large skillet and cook on medium heat until brown and onion and garlic are soft (break into pieces as the mixture is cooking).
- Drain sausage mixture and let cool.
- Add chopped mushroom stems to the same skillet and cook for 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Combine mushroom and sausage mixture in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and seasoned panko crumbs.
- Add the egg yolk.
- Stir mixture together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow mixture to firm up.
- Using a melon baller or teaspoon, clean out the cavity of each mushroom.
- Fill each mushroom with 1 Tablespoon filling or more creating a sizable mound over the top.
- Top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place mushrooms filling side up on the baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the mushrooms are tender and the topping is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
Gr8 Do Ahead Tips:
- The filling may be made up to 3 days in advance.
- The stuffed mushrooms may be cooked up to 4 hours in advance and held at room temperature. Warm in the oven before serving.