A family meal prepared with love and with everyone gathered around the table...together...at the same time, that's the true definition of Sunday Supper! We all have busy schedules, but Sunday is the last day of the weekend just before the week of nonstop activities begins again. Just to sit down and catch up on what is going on in each others' lives, would be a great start to the week ahead.
How wonderful would it be to bring this age old tradition back to every table at every home! Gather around the table this Sunday with a platter of Roasted Chicken Breasts with Parsley Pan Gravy and a side of Smashed Rosemary Potatoes. Delicious, simple and comforting...it will keep them seated.
Roasted Chicken Breasts with Pressed Potatoes
Roasted Chicken Breasts
- 4 chicken breast halves, with skin and bones
- 3 teaspoons each of ground sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Pressed Rosemary Potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds small red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
Roasted Chicken Breasts with Parsley Pan Gravy
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Loosen the skin from the chicken breasts, but keep intact.
- Combine dried herbs and pepper in a small bowl and rub ¼ of the mixture onto each breast, under the skin.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- With skin side up, place the chicken breasts in a 9 x 13-inch metal baking rimmed pan, stovetop safe.
- Evenly dot the chicken with pieces of butter.
- Roast until cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, keeping juices.
- Place pan with the juices over medium heat.
- Lightly and slowly, to avoid clumps…add the flour (sprinkling/sifting is best) stir until golden, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk in chicken broth. Bring to boil, whisking risky and constantly until mixture begins to thicken, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley. Check season, adding salt and pepper, if needed.
Pressed Rosemary Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place potatoes in a large stock pot with water to cover 2-3 inches.
- Add salt.
- Bring to boil. Cook until a knife inserted in easily, slides out easily.
- Meanwhile, oil a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Drain potatoes and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- With a potato masher, ricer or heavy bottomed glass, gently press each potato one at a time. Irregularities add character!
- Drizzle each potato with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with minced rosemary and salt.
- Place in oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden and crispy around edges.