Ice Cream Soda...an old-fashioned treat served at soda fountains in the early 20th century. Something we may think of as quaint. But, you could say that an ice cream soda was the precursor to Starbucks' Unicorn Frappuccino. Both are yummy, sweet, creamy confections that are tasty, refreshing, and FUN! Our coffee shops today are what soda fountains were back in the day; places where friends gathered to enjoy a treat, chat and hang-out.
Well, my Gr8 Friends, now you can treat your friends and family at home to this ice cream soda confection. It's very easy and there aren't really any "measurements"...if you like lots of chocolate, add more chocolate, if you want less chocolate and more strawberries, add more strawberries. The proportions in the recipe are estimates.
It's also fun to change up the flavors. You can use any flavor ice cream; different syrups (how about a chocolate and salted caramel combo?!); and different fruits. Or leave out the fruit! It's a blank canvas, have fun and enjoy!
Neapolitan Ice Cream Soda
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup chocolate syrup,, approximately
- 2 10-ounce bottles club soda
- 4 to 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Whipped Cream
- 2 whole strawberries,, for garnish
- Mix the sugar with the strawberries and let set for about 20 minutes.
- In the bottom of each of 2 tall glasses (10 to 14 ounces) put 1 to 2 Tablespoons of chocolate syrup and about the same amount of club soda.
- Stir until well combined.
- Add a couple spoonfuls of strawberries to each glass, then put a scoop of ice cream in each glass.
- Layer with another spoonful or two of strawberries and about a Tablespoon of chocolate.
- Add another scoop of ice cream and top with more strawberries and some more chocolate.
- If you are about at the top of the glass, then fill with club soda. Pause and let the bubbles subside and add some more. If you still have more glass, then you can add another layer of ice cream, strawberries, and chocolate syrup.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkles, garnish with a whole strawberry.
- Serve with a long spoon and a straw and slurp it down!
Gr8 Tip:It would be Gr8 Fun to make an Ice Cream Soda Bar. You can use any flavors of ice cream you like, different syrups, fruits and sprinkles. Get Cre-8-ive!