Change up your regular wings to these Pepper Chicken Wings! They have a tangy, spicy, peppery flavor that will wake up your tastebuds!
Football season, basketball season or a casual dinner party…I love them all! Add a nice big platter of chicken wings to either occasion and I’m in! Actually any season! And boy do David Tanis' Peppery Chicken Wings fit right in!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's an easy recipe from my favorite cookbook, his "The Heart of the Artichoke and Other Kitchen Journeys." I think what caught my eye was the word “Peppery” in the recipe name! I love all things peppery! In fact sometimes at a restaurant, I want to ask our server to just go ahead and leave the pepper grinder at the table!
When the theme one year for our Great 8 dinner parties was ‘Your favorite cookbook’, I knew what cookbook I had to choose! David Tanis’ “The Heart of the Artichoke and Other Kitchen Journeys”. It is one of my favorites!
I know what you’re probably thinking, “A thick hardbound cookbook! That sure is a lot of artichoke recipes!” Nope! Although this cookbook of Tanis' has that beautiful flowery vegetable on the cover, it’s loaded with all sorts of other delectable delights…many even with meat! This Peppery Chicken Wing recipe is in there and it is one of the best I’ve made. So when it came to choosing an appetizer for our dinner party, straight from "The Heart of the Artichoke and Other Kitchen Journeys" cookbook, there was never a question!
Take a dip!
Although the wings themselves don’t need a “teammate,” I like to add the coolness of a blue cheese dipping sauce (recipe below) on the “sidelines”! Seeing the combination of cayenne, paprika and allspice, you know these aren’t going to be your typical sports bar chicken wings! Give yourself the marinade time before game time! With the few ingredients that I’m sure you’ve already got on hand, you can have these bad boys ready before kickoff! You might want to have "The Heart of the Artichoke and Other Kitchen Journeys" cookbook nearby...someone will surely want to jot down the recipe!
Peppery Chicken Wings and Blue Cheese Dip
- 5 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed to a paste with a little salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup Sir Kensington’s Classic Mayonnaise, Our favorite mayonnaise!
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- ½ Tablespoon vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons whole milk
- 5 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place the clipped chicken wings in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl combine the allspice, cloves, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic and oil. Thoroughly combine mixture.
- Pour contents of the spice mixture over the chicken wings. With a rubber spatula, gently coat the wings, making sure all the folds and crevices are coated.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for at least 45 minutes (no more than an hour).
- While chicken is “taking a rest,” preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Place the chicken wings in one layer on a cookie sheet that has a 1″ rim (a roasting pan will do fine too.)
- Roast for 1 hour or until crisp and a golden brown and a bit dark in color.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with the Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce (recipe follows).
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- Combine all ingredients by whisking together in a medium bowl.
- Transfer sauce mixture to a serving bowl.
- Serve alongside the chicken wings.