During summertime there seem to be two staples in our household, watermelon and the grill. Wow! Who would have thought to combine the two. When Joel and I decided to have a "Backyard BBQ" themed Gr8 dinner, I thought this appetizer would be the perfect addition.
When the watermelon is grilled the sugars concentrate for an extra-special treat. Combined with the saltiness of the prosciutto and the creaminess of the cheese makes this a wonderful new spin on some classic flavors!
- 3 1/2-inch thick watermelon rounds,, quartered
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto,, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces blue cheese,, crumbled (or Feta cheese if you prefer a milder flavor)
- Fresh basil leaves,, sliced into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons balsamic glaze,, bottled and easily found at your local market with the balsamic vinegar or easy to make your own*
- Turn your grill on to medium-high heat.
- Brush each side of the watermelon pieces with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- With the grill lid open, grill each watermelon piece just long enough to warm and show some of those fancy grill marks.
- Plate the watermelon and sprinkle with blue cheese, prosciutto strips and basil.
- Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
- Serve immediately.
- Can also be served at room temperature or follow the directions above and chill for a short time in the refrigerator for an appetizer with a cooler temperature.
- Click here for a link to show you how to make your own balsamic glaze. Super easy!
Adapted from Southern Living, August 2012.