Everybody needs a recipe that can be put together quickly, that is delicious, and that most every diner will enjoy. Well, Gr8 Friends, this is that recipe. My friend Christine has been making this Chicken Salad for years and she generously shared her recipe!
This Chicken Salad is ideal for a quick supper, an elegant luncheon, as an addition on a brunch buffet...you name it, this is probably the perfect dish!
Serve the salad with crusty French bread and salted butter, some fresh veggies and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc or a Pinot Gris from Alsace.
And the very BEST part of this recipe? You don't have to be a cook to make it! It starts with a store-bought roasted chicken.
Christine's Scrumptious Chicken Salad
- 1 store-bought roasted chicken, (if you are gluten-free, check with your store to ensure that the chicken is gluten-free)
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons bottled oil and vinegar dressing
- 1/2 cup Sir Kensington's mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, you know we love Sir Kensington's here at Great 8 Friends!
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 red-skinned apples, I use Gala
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup walnut halves for garnish
- 1/2 head butter lettuce
- Remove the chicken from the bones. Discard the skin and bones.
- Dice the meat into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and vinegar dressing and toss well.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard and red wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add this creamy dressing to the chicken mixture and mix well.
- Core apples (leaving the skin on) and cut into small pieces. Add to the chicken and toss to mix well.
- Add the chopped walnuts and 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Line a serving dish with the largest leaves from the butter lettuce. Spoon the Chicken Salad on top of the leaves. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and garnish with the walnut halves.