I love to make one-pot meals and this hearty recipe is a family pleaser. When my husband, dad and son all three got up from the table to get a second bowl, I knew it was a recipe to share with our Gr8 friends. I love to cook from Giada De Laurentiis' cookbooks! I watched her make this soup on one of her TV shows and knew that my family would love it. Spezzatino is an Italian vegetable stew that has meat in it and sprinkling the crispy pancetta on top is the flavor clincher. Try it and Enjoy!
Chicken, Artichoke, and Cannellini Bean Spezzatino
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta,, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (Trader Joe’s has a 4 oz. container already cut)
- 2 medium carrots,, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 celery stalks,, thinly sliced
- 1 onion,, diced
- 3 cloves garlic,, halved
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper,, or more to taste
- 2 14-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 packed cup fresh basil leaves,, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 chicken breast halves, bone-in, skin-on, (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
- 12 ounces frozen artichoke hearts,, thawed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans,, rinsed and drained
- In your large soup pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- To the oil add the pancetta and while stirring frequently, cook the bacon until it is lightly brown and crispy.
- Once the pancetta is done, remove it and let it drain on paper towels
- Add to the pan the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook about 6 minutes.
- Add the broth, basil, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaf to the pan.
- Add the two chicken breasts to the soup and press down so that the chicken is covered by the liquid.
- Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes to continue to cook the chicken. Turn the chicken over a couple of times while stirring the soup occasionally.
- Add the artichokes and beans and continue to cook for about 15 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the pan and remove the skin and cut the chicken off the bone and into bite-sized pieces.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup and discard.
- Add the chicken meat back into the pot and continue to warm for about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle each bowl with the cooked pancetta.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis.