For fresh tomatoes or those that are going 'round the bend, roast them then make this delicious and refreshing Roasted Tomato and Arugula Salad.
In 2015 Jurga and Tim asked Joel and me to bring Roasted Tomato and Arugula Salad to their Great 8 Dinner.
I had never made roasted tomatoes and so I was super excited to prepare them. I decided to use the small vine ripened tomatoes cut in half although any tomato could be roasted using the method below.
The combination of some of our favorite fresh ingredients infuse the tomatoes as they are roasting into the most flavorful and somewhat sweet tasting fruit!
I like to roast the tomatoes for about 15 minutes upside down. This gives them time to soak up much of the olive oil and herbs. Then I turn them over to roast for another 1 1/2 hours.
The outcome is truly a wonderfully delicious salad that I know you will love! Joel and I like to add a dab of Burrata (fresh mozzarella). Delizioso!
I realized the first time I made the roasted tomatoes that I did not make enough! I should have roasted many more!
They are perfect on pasta, sandwiches, with chicken or fish. Or just spread a crostini with goat cheese and plop one of these beauties on top. A perfect and easy appetizer!
This salad needs to be added to your favorite recipes. It is simple to make with lots of flavor to experience! Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Edited from the original publication of March 27, 2015.
Roasted Tomato Arugula Salad
Salad Ingredients to serve 8:
- 8 ounces arugula
- Balsamic Vinaigrette, see below
- Oven Roasted Tomatoes, see below
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper , to taste
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 pound tomatoes, I used small vine ripened tomatoes. You can also use grape or medium sizes.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, add to your taste
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- several branches of thyme
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- Whisk together all ingredients, or combine in a shaker or jar with a sealed lid and shake vigorously.
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Drizzle the olive oil onto the prepared baking sheet. Add the garlic, thyme, and rosemary and toss together with the olive oil.
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Toss the tomatoes with the oil and seasonings and then lay them cut-side down.
- Bake cut-side down for 15 minutes and then take them out of the oven and turn them over.
- Bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours longer until the tomatoes are completely softened and wilted and start to wrinkle. Depending on the size of the tomatoes, they may take longer to cook.
- Toss the arugula with the dressing and divide on plates. Top with the roasted tomatoes.
Make it Gr8:
- I added a piece of fresh mozzarella on the arugula and put the roasted tomatoes on top of the mozzarella. This made it colorful and added creamy deliciousness!
- When your tomatoes are getting somewhat wilted, instead of throwing them out, ROAST them!