This Asparagus Gruyère Tart is one of my favorite recipes to prepare (and to eat)! When asparagus is bright green and in season this tart is the first recipe I think of making. It starts with a frozen puff pastry which is super easy to work with. Delicious and easy, yep, that's a keeper recipe for me!
I love to serve this tart along side a simple salad or bowl of soup. Or instead of toast, try serving a slice with your eggs and bacon. Your family or guests will be so impressed!
Asparagus Gruyère Tart
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thaw according to package instructions
- flour, for the work surface
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 medium or large egg
- 3 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups grated Gruyère cheese
- ¾ pound asparagus, small to medium spears
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste to sprinkle on top of the tart
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle the counter or wood cutting board with flour.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry into a 16-by-10 inch rectangle. It does not have to be perfect!
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the puff pastry on it.
- With a sharp knife, lightly score the pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges. Do not cut all the way through the dough.
- Pierce the dough inside the border with a fork about every inch.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir together the ricotta, egg, parsley, lemon juice, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Spread the ricotta mixture on the inside of the border of the pastry.
- Sprinkle the Gruyère on top of the ricotta.
- Trim the ends of the asparagus so that they are all about the same size and fit inside the pastry. Place the asparagus spears inside the tart shell. Alternate the tips and bottoms so that they fit better.
- Brush the asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until the spears are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Here at Great 8 Friends we love our rimmed baking sheets. They are useful for everything from baking cookies to making sheet pan dinners, like our Complete Fish Dinner on the Grill or Easy Sheet Pan Lamb Dinner.