Aromas wafting from the barbecue grill in the neighbor's backyard is a sure sign that summer is here! Or right around the corner!
Whether heading to a potluck or a day at the beach, this Chile-Spiked Grilled Corn on the Cob, a classic from the streets of Mexico, will be a perfect contribution to your summer dining....patio or picnic!
It is full of flavor and needless to say, the kick of heat from the chile pequin adds the perfect finishing touch. Served with Marta’s Healthy Tasty NOT Refried Beans, it would make a Gr8 meatless meal!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may make a commission at no extra cost to you should you click on the link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you find your produce at your neighborhood supermarket or local farm stand? We all know that finding the ears of corn with the perfect amount of sweetness makes all the difference!
Get the summer started...first you’ve got to shuck the corn. Secondly, you’ll want to boil it...
Lastly, grill it and season it.
Super easy! Delicious, with a tangy kick that’ll give your mouth the added heat that matches with the temperature outside! Bite it off the cob or cut it from the cob.
Once grilled, the smoky char gives the corn a flavor that is absolutely delicious. Enjoy it straight from the grates or room temperature.
Time to pack up the car and head towards the sunshine! Let's go!
Chile-Spiked Grilled Corn on the Cob
- 6 ears corn, husked
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup freshly grated cotija cheese, a firm round cheese found in the cheese section of the market near the other Latin American dairy products
- 2 teaspoons ground chile pequin*
- Lime wedges for serving
- *Chile Pequin: if unavailable, mix together 1 teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Heat up the grill on high (or preheat oven to 500º F).
- In a pot of boiling water, cook corn for about 3 minutes, until crisp-tender. Drain the corn.
- Grill the corn directly on the grates, turning frequently until evenly browned, about 10-12 minutes. If using the oven, roast corn on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes, turning from time to time.
- While corn is grilling or roasting, in a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and sour cream.
- Brush the mayonnaise mixture all over the corn and sprinkle with the cheese and spices.
- Serve right away with lime wedges.
- If you are bringing to a potluck or picnic to the beach, cook and grill the corn ahead of time. Wrap in foil. Pre-grate the cheese and place in a covered bowl. Bring the spice mixture in a Ziploc bag and the mayo mixture in a covered container. Warm up the foiled ears of corn in the oven or on the beach grill. Once warmed through, unwrap and brush with the mayo, sprinkle with cheese and spices and serve with limes.
- Don't want to dirty a pot to boil the corn? Skip it! Simply wrap the shucked corn in regular foil and throw it on the grill alongside all your meats. Just 20 minutes! Grilled to perfection...charred marks and all!
- To make this in snack size form, cut the ears into thirds.