These delicious Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars consist of a layer of crumbly shortbread, a layer of caramel and a layer of chocolate. And to top it off, a sprinkling of salt gives this dessert bar that "oh so yummy" sweet/salty taste.
One bite and they will surely become one of your favorite treats. I cut them pretty small because a one or two bite bar is the perfect mouthful of gooey sweetness!
How about filling a tin and sharing them with a Gr8 friend?!
This post contains affiliate links which means Great Eight Friends may earn a small commission if you click on the link. There is no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Caramel Chocolate Shortbread Bars
Ingredients for crust:
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
- Generous pinch of salt
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Generous pinch of salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. See the Gr8 Tip below for an easy way to do this.
- Using your food processor, pulse the powdered sugar, flour, butter and salt until the mixture resembles small pea-sized pieces.
- Gather this dough mixture and place in the bottom of the square baking pan and press the dough to evenly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Bake this crust for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan and over medium heat, whisk together the condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt. Continue to whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan and continuously whisk the caramel while it is gently boiling and until the temperature gets to 225°F. The sauce should be thick and golden brown which takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the warm crust. Do not scrape the sides and bottom of the pan. Cool for about 15 minutes or until the caramel is set.
- To melt the chocolate, place it and the cream in a microwave bowl and heat just long enough that the chocolate begins to melt. Take it out and stir. The heated chocolate will usually melt the rest of the chocolate as you stir it. If you need to place back into the microwave, only heat for a few seconds at a time and take out and stir. Do not overheat the chocolate.
- Stir well until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle the Maldon Salt on top of the chocolate. (Yes! This makes it very tasty!)
- Refrigerate the bars for at least an hour to set the chocolate.
- Using the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board.
- Cut into small squares and serve.
Gr8 Tip:*Line the pan by cutting a piece of parchment paper larger than the size of the pan and cut the corners from the edge of the paper to the corner of the pan. Butter the pan and place the parchment inside the pan.
Gr8 Do-Ahead:This recipe can be made a few days ahead and kept on the counter or in the refrigerator in an airtight container. The bars can also be frozen and should be used within one month.
Shopping links for your convenience: