A special delivery greeted me at my desk at Sizzix one morning...a bow-tied and tagged garden treat from my sweet friend Stephanie Ackerman of Homegrown Hospitality! It brightened my day and prompted my grocery list. With this freshly picked, enormous zucchini, I knew I had better find more than one recipe to even make a dent! That dark green beauty practically weighed more than my 1st born daughter, and was more than 16" long!
It arrived just in time for a gathering the next day at my sister and brother-in-law's house, where I was asked to bring an appetizer. One of our nephews doesn't eat meat, so I thought these Parmesan Cheese Crisps Laced with Zucchini and Carrots would be perfect! I found the recipe on Pinterest from The Dinner Mom. Not being a fan of a lot of fried foods, the fact that these are baked, caught my eye...and my tummy! Knowing most of the guests (and I too) would appreciate a dipping sauce, I included a bleu cheese dressing that I had in my refrigerator. Simple as that! They were quite a hit!
Hmm...let's see! I've still got so much more zucchini to have fun with!
Next on the menu, Zucchini Slaw. Light and fresh...a perfect summer salad. I tossed it with a little leftover shredded chicken and it made for the perfect light meal. Grilled fish would work too.
Now, how about something fresh from the oven? Everyone likes baked goods, right? Here you go... Zucchini Cornbread Muffins! The pretty green garden shreds are added to your favorite cornbread recipe! Now how easy is that?!
Let's get started!
Parmesan Cheese Crisps Laced with Zucchini & Carrots
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated zucchini,, or 1 cup if not using carrots
- 1/2 cup freshly grated carrots
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or Silat mat).
- Using a paper towel, squeeze out the excess moisture from zucchini and carrots.
- Combine grated vegetables with the parmesan cheese.
- Place tablespoon size drops onto prepared baking sheet.
- Flatten lightly with back of spoon.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes until firmed up.
- Serve with your favorite creamy type dressing (Bleu cheese or Ranch).
The next 2 Gr8 recipes EACH start with this same base:
- 2 medium zucchini,, grated (measuring about 4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Sprinkle the zucchini with the salt and place in a colander set over a bowl. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Squeeze moisture out. I rinsed it a bit (before squeezing the moisture out), to lessen the saltiness....
- Use this base for the recipes below.
- Using your favorite cornbread recipe, before adding the wet ingredients, stir the above prepared Gr8-ed Zucchini Base into the dry mixture.
- Pour into muffin tins lined with your cutest paper liners or brush tins with unsalted butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on the crown and the toothpick....well, you know the rest!
- Zucchini Base,, recipe above
- 1 celery stalk,, thinly sliced
- 1 Gala apple,, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar,, or to your taste
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds,, toasted
- 1/4 cup freshly snipped basil leaves
- coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- grilled chicken or fish,, optional
- Toss the first six ingredients together.
- Season to your taste with the salt and pepper.
- Add chicken or fish, if desired.
- Enjoy a Gr8, light meal!