This Pomegranate, Apple, Walnut Salad is pretty as a picture and ready to be served. The colors make it the perfect accompaniment for holidays like Valentine's Day or Christmas. And butter lettuce is my husband's favorite, so this is a definite go-to recipe in my house.
The salad goes together easily, and I'll tell you my secret....shhhhhh... I buy the pomegranate arils in the produce section ready to use...I don't use whole pomegranates...shhhhh.
The dressing for this salad is a nice counterpoint of tangy and sweet and can be made a couple days ahead of time.
You can use it with just about any greens for a slightly different take on oil and vinegar.
Use just enough dressing to cover the leaves; that way you get the crunch of the lettuce and the flavors of the dressing shine. Less is more, if you need to add, it's much easier than taking away!
Pomegranate, Apple, Walnut Salad
- 2 large heads of butter lettuce,, cored, washed and torn into pieces
- 1 ½ cups glazed walnuts,, the easy way is to buy them already glazed!
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 Honeycrisp or Fuji apple
- 1 recipe Honey Shallot Vinaigrette,, see below
- ¼ cup loosely packed tarragon leaves
- 2 ounces crumbled Stilton or Maytag blue cheese,, about ½ cup
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper,, if desired
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard,, We like Sir Kensington's here at Great Eight Friends!
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the torn lettuce leaves in a large bowl.
- Core and cut the apples into bite sized chunks OR see *Gr8 Serving Tip.
- To the lettuce add the walnuts, pomegranate seeds and apples, see *Gr8 Serving Tip.
- Start with adding half of the dressing and toss to coat, add more dressing as needed to fully coat the salad.
- Add the tarragon leaves and cheese, toss until the ingredients are well distributed. (I leave the cheese off the salad and pass it in a small bowl if I am serving guests who may not like blue cheese...like my son!)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, honey, shallot and mustard.
- While whisking, gradually add the oil and whisk until well combined.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Gr8 Tip:You can also put the ingredients into a jar, seal and shake until fully incorporated.
Gr8 Serving Tip:If you are plating the salads individually (for a romantic dinner for two, maybe), slice the apples just before serving and fan them out on the side of the salad. This makes a pretty presentation!
Gr8 Do-Ahead Tip:The dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance. Keep refrigerated in a sealed container. Bring to room temperature when ready to use.
Just to let you know, some of the links on this page may be affiliate links, which means that Great Eight Friends will earn a small commission from purchases made through these links (this does not change your cost). These earnings help to support the cost of running this website. Thank you so much for your Gr8 support!